Questions to Ask to Discover How Your Buyers Are Consuming Content
Most consumers don’t wake up in the morning and think to themselves, “I feel like buying something today.” Instead, the typical person goes through a path called the buyer’s journey.
Consumers have more resources than ever at the tips of their fingers now. That means competition between businesses is all the more fierce. To draw in consumers, a business must have a deep understanding of buyer personas to create content that engages and pushes them down the marketing funnel to end with making a purchase.
To that end, there are many different questions that a business should ask itself to help find out what type of content its buyers prefer to consume.
How Do the Buyers Prefer to Access Info?
Different types of buyers will be interested in varying forms of content. This is where asking the right questions of buyers is critical. To access buyers, a business can email surveys to past customers and interview new customers.
Some of the questions to ask include:
- Do they like email newsletters?
- Do they read content on their computer or mobile device?
- Do they go to events? Are these events online or in-person?
- Do they look for information during work hours or while they’re at home?
- Does advertising influence their search for information?
What Are Their Areas of Interest?
Web analytics for the business website can provide a lot of great information. With analytics, a business can find out what content their buyers have engaged with the most and what content formats have been the most successful.
Be sure to research what topics garnered the most interest from site visitors. This will help to inform whether the business can branch off sub-categories from a central popular topic.
Some questions to consider for this include:
- What content do buyers consume from the site most often?
- Why are buyers consuming this content?
- What format for the content is the most popular?
How Much Information Do the Buyers Want?
When it comes to the quantity and frequency of information, there is no one right answer. Every buyer will vary slightly on this.
Having an RSS feed on the business website or blog can help provide insight into how the buyers engage with the content the business provides.
Here are some of the questions to ask to help discover how often the buyer prefers to receive information:
- Do the buyers subscribe to RSS feeds?
- How often do they use social media? Which networks do they use?
- How often do they engage with content at each stage of the buying process?
- Do the buyers prefer more information upfront, while researching, or later into the stage of the buying decision?
What or Who Influences the Buyer?
It’s essential to understand what influences are behind the buyer. Web analytics can help show if there are any domains that referred a site visitor to your business website.
A few questions to consider in helping to further uncover information on different influences include:
- Where does the buyer prefer to get content from?
- Who does the buyer get their content from? (i.e., thought leaders, vendors, friends?)
- Does the content format change at all during the buying process?